UNI Europa Graphical & Packaging adopted the ‘Berlin Appeal’ during the UNI Europa Graphical & Packaging Collective Bargaining Conference which took place in Berlin 20-21 October 216:
‘European governments are forging ahead with liberal policies and, in their attempts to stay in office, many are adopting nauseous Fascist thinking, denying the right of asylum and a welcoming haven worthy of its name to women, children and men of all ages fleeing from massacres in their home countries. The Calais “Jungle” between Great Britain and France is a sorry reminder of all this.
27 years after the fall of the Berlin Wall separating people into two camps, walls are again being erected throughout Europe – barriers to humanity and human rights and a distortion of the cherished spirit of freedom and peace in Europe.
We, unions representing workers in the European graphical, packaging and publishing sectors, are launching the Berlin Appeal:
· calling on workers throughout Europe to join a union and thus acquire the means to upturn the current balance of power in order to achieve a different Europe, one in which its peoples – and not the business and banking world – have the upper hand;
· demanding that European governance be based on true democracy and not on delegation to a Council and a Commission taking decisions without democratic legitimacy;
· demanding the urgent establishment of a European social framework preventing all forms of dumping and the pitting of workers against one another, respecting high-level social norms and leading to the equal treatment
· putting a major focus on fighting racism, xenophobia, anti-Semitism, homophobia and all other forms of exclusion;
· demanding that those fleeing from massacres and poverty in their home countries are welcomed with dignity and respect.’