UNI Europa, the European services workers’ union, is seeking an Organising Director to build trade union power by assisting affiliates in developing organising capacity and running successful organising campaigns.
The Director manages the operational, policy and campaigning activities in his/her field of work with a high degree of independent judgement and decision-making within the framework set by the Regional Secretary. He/she also works as part of the UNI Europa Organising team led by our chief organising Director.
The successful candidate will be based in Brussels, Belgium and working on projects across the whole of Europe.
Our organisation is the voice of 270 trade unions with 7 million members throughout Europe. Besides the graphical and packaging industry, our sectors include media and entertainment, commerce, finance, ICTS, post and care.
UNI Europa’s strategy is to build power for working people through strong unions and work towards a social Europe with quality jobs and fair working conditions for everyone. We promote and advocate workers and trade union interests towards EU institutions and multinational companies.
The Organising Director manages the operational, policy and campaigning activities in his/her field of work with a high degree of independent judgement and decision-making within the framework set by the Regional Secretary. He/she also works as part of the UNI Europa Organising team led by our chief organising Director.
The focus of the job is on initiating, planning, running, supervising and coordinating activities in his/her fields of work.
Tasks and responsibilities comprise in particular:
- Manage organising campaigns
- Manage Lead Organisers in Training and Organisers
- Plan and implement organising campaigns in multinational companies
- Promote the activities of UNI Europe
- Develop campaign and organising strategies and materials
- Assist Unions to build organising capacity
- Coordinate and conduct training for union lead organisers, activists and officials
- Build links between members and unions in targeted companies and Unions in Europe
- Proven commitment to the trade union movement
- Proven organising skills
- Experience of organising in Europe
- Experience of working as a Lead Organiser and of managing a team
- Good communications skills including the use of social media
- Adult education and training experience
- Planning skills and ability to work to a plan
- Ability to motivate others, mentoring and coaching skills
- Knowledge of labour legislation, workers’ rights, current labour environment in Europe
- Ability to speak and write in English, other languages are desirable
UNI Europa offers attractive conditions with a competitive salary and an attractive package of fringe benefits in line with seniority and work experience. This includes complementary hospital insurance and a complementary pension scheme.
How to Apply
Candidates should send their application form (available for download below) to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Vacancy – UNI Europa Organising Director” by Friday 15th of March.
The aim is to hold interviews in April 2019.
Download and complete the application form below: